Princess Beatrice seems to be spared in the abuse case against Prince Andrew’s father. The Telegraph reports that the Duke of York’s lawyers does not intend to call her witnesses.
Andrew’s alleged victim, Virginia Giuffre, claims to have had sex with the prince multiple times when he was a minor. According to her, one of those times was after a visit to a nightclub in March 2001. Andrew denied this in the much-discussed interview with the BBC in 2019. He said he was then eating with Beatrice at a Pizza Express branch.
According to The Telegraph, the royal family feared that Beatrice would be called as a witness. However, Andrew’s lawyers have so far only summoned Robert Olney, a former aide to the Duke, and Shukri Walker. He is said to have seen Andrew at the nightclub when he allegedly forced Giuffre into sex.
A judge in New York ruled earlier this week that the case may continue. On Thursday, Prince Andrew was announced to defend himself “as a civilian”. He has surrendered all his honorary titles to Queen Elizabeth and has also lost his title of His Royal Highness.