How to Transfer Gmail Contacts to Outlook 2016/13/10/07
A user can save the contacts in Gmail account and then synchronize them with MS Outlook. Microsoft is a web-based email client. There are different approaches to move the contacts from Google Gmail account to Outlook. Often, it happens that a user faces some issues in migrating the contacts. All the problems along with the solutions are discussed in the post. Also, an alternative technique is suggested which transfer Gmail contacts to Outlook 2016/2013/2010/2007 is the trouble-free manner.
Let us consider the following user query to understand the difficulty faced by the user:
“Hi!! I want to import my Gmail contacts to Outlook. The problem is I use Gmail for my personal use and Microsoft Outlook for work purpose. I cannot access both of them at the same time. So, it would be great if I can view the contacts of both the clients together. Is there any way to import Gmail contacts to Outlook 2007? Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.”
Transfer Gmail Contacts to Outlook – Manual Approach
To export the contacts from Google Gmail account to the MS Outlook 2016/2013/2010/2007, a user has to go through two significant steps:
- Move Gmail Contacts to PST File Format
- Import the PST File to MS Outlook
Step1: Move Gmail Contacts to PST File Format
A user has to follow given set of instructions to export Gmail contacts to Outlook 2013:
- Sign in to your Gmail account
- Select Gmail option from the top left-hand corner. From the drop-down list that appeared, choose the option of Contacts
- On the top of the contacts section, click on the option of More followed by Export
- From the new dialog box that appears on the screen, go to the option of All contacts and then Outlook CSV format
- When it appears on the screen, choose the option of Save As and browse the destination location, where you desire to save the contacts PST file. Press the Save button to store the PST file at the desired location to transfer Gmail contacts to Outlook.
Step2: Import the PST File to MS Outlook
A user must follow the
steps to sync Gmail contacts with Outlook 2010:
- Launch the Microsoft Outlook option
- Select the option of File followed by Open & Export and then Import/Export
- An Import and Export Wizard will open up on the screen. Choose the option of Import from another program or file and then click on Next
- From Export to a File window pane, choose comma separated values as an option followed by Next to continue with the process to import Gmail contacts to Outlook 2007
- Click on Browse to search for the file which you have to import in Outlook and then click on Next
- Select the destination location in order to save the resultant file and then press Next
- At last, click on Finish button
Problems and their Solutions to Migrate Gmail Contacts to Outlook
Error Message Flashes Up on the Screen: If a user wants to import 2000 contacts or more than that at the same instant of the time, Outlook will show up an error message. To prevent this issue from arising, a user can save the contacts in smaller CSV file and then import them separately.
Contacts Do not Appear on Outlook: Many times it happens with the user that after completing the entire import process, the contacts do not show up on the Outlook account. In that case, a user has to open the contacts CSV file exported from Google Gmail account. If no information is displayed in the CSV file, delete that file and then transfer Gmail contacts to Outlook again.
Some Contacts Missing: If all the contacts are not moved from Gmail to Outlook, then a user can follow these measures:
- Edit the CSV contact file with the help of Microsoft Excel and add the missing information regarding contacts
- Redo the steps to export Gmail contacts to Outlook 2013
Not Able to Extract Data: This problem is likely to occur when a user has synced an empty CSV file in MS Outlook. To avoid this problem, check the CSV file that there is any data before exporting it to Outlook. If there is no data present, add it from Google Gmail account.
Error in CSV File: This error message will show up on the screen due to the poor formatting of the CSV file. To overcome this problem, a user has to delete the old CSV file and export the contacts again from Gmail. Then, go with the procedure to transfer Gmail accounts to Outlook 2016.
A MAPI Error Occurring: This error occurs when there is a problem with the CSV file to be imported. To fix this issue, a user has to check that how many contacts can be imported in CSV file. If it can export maximum 100 contacts, then the problem is with the 101st row. Delete the extra rows of the CSV file and then save it again with the .csv extension. Afterward, import this CSV file.
The Bottom Line
A user faces many problems when it is about how to transfer Gmail contacts to Outlook. A workaround approach has been discussed to migrate the contacts from Gmail to MS Outlook. But, some problems are still encountered by various users. To eliminate all these issues, a user can go with the automated tool like SysTools Gmail Backup Software. This is the hassle-free solution to sync Gmail contacts with Outlook 2010 and all other versions. According to the experts, it is the best solution to move the contacts from Gmail to Microsoft Outlook account.